[Koha-translate] [Koha] NZ English Translation

Henri-Damien LAURENT laurenthdl at alinto.com
Tue Apr 8 23:21:05 CEST 2008

russ at russandsarah.gen.nz a écrit :
> Firstly, apologies for the cross list posting. I didn't realise that all
> the other lists had been copied in. Seems that this is a bigger deal than
> I originally thought.
>

>> The best way to do that would be to have some kind of official
>> language dictionary for library terms ...
>>
>> Fortunately, there's a  free Dictionary for Library and Information
>> Science that
>> we can avail ourselves of: http://lu.com/odlis/. Would anyone be
>> interested in
>> 'cleaning up' the English language strings in accordance with ODLIS?
>>

> I think the point is that there is no official language dictionary for
> library terms. As HDL has pointed out, different libraries use different
> terms for the same function, even in the same language in the same
> country.
>
> I don't have a hard copy of the ODLIS dictionary, so I can't see the full
> methodology behind it's development, but from reading the back cover print
> on the Amazon, I can see that was created by a librarian at a University
> in the USA. I think it makes it a great resource to use to standardise the
> naming conventions in an en-US translation.
>
> Doing this work is desirable, but does not meet the needs of what I would
> like to achieve with a translation that makes sense here in NZ.
>
> I would like to translate some of the terms that make sense in the US, to
> those that are relevant here. I don't think it is a big job, but the
> feedback I have received has been that it would make a difference to the
> usability of the system.
>
> I'd at least like to try it out. Can an en-NZ code be created on
> translate.koha.org please?

Russel,
I clearly understand and support your point. And I am sure that Joshua
knows that it could be good.
But I also think he is right in so far as : If we donot have a clearly
defined and harmonized, and unambiguous en Koha version (would it be on
ODLIS or any dictionary. I favour ODLIS that seems to be good, but I
think anyway sometimes we may have to make choices between two
synonyms.), updating and keeping translation up will be a nightmare.

I am sure his point was : let us not spread out forces, but let us join
and disambiguate, harmonize all the terms that still are quite "fuzzy"
checkout return, Issues, as a checkout or as a "serial issue". And then
let's play.

Hopes that helps.
--
Henri-Damien LAURENT