[Koha-translate] Alternative source languages

Frédéric DEMIANS f.demians at tamil.fr
Fri Dec 10 08:08:09 CET 2010

This exchange interests all the translators.

The main Serhij Dubyk idea is here:

     Pootle has the ability to display alternative source languages while
     translating. Thus, translators who know another language better than
     English can take part in the translation project.

Serhij Dubyk a écrit :

 > Ok. About alternative source languages is very little available
 > information on this page:

 > http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/alternative_source_language
 > Although it is nowhere written - alternative languages do not work if
 > in each language folder files are called differently.

 > On site translate.koha-community.org now
 >
 > uk/32/uk-UA-i-opac-t-prog-v-3002000.po
 > uk/32/uk-UA-i-staff-t-prog-v-3002000.po
 > uk/32/uk-UA-pref.po
 >
 > ru/32/ru-RU-i-opac-t-prog-v-3002000.po
 > ru/32/ru-RU-i-staff-t-prog-v-3002000.po
 > ru/32/ru-RU-pref.po

 > ... etc
 >
 > But in order to work alternative language should be same file names:
 >
 > uk/32/i-opac-t-prog-v-3002000.po
 > uk/32/i-staff-t-prog-v-3002000.po
 > uk/32/pref.po
 >
 > ru/32/i-opac-t-prog-v-3002000.po
 > ru/32/i-staff-t-prog-v-3002000.po
 > ru/32/pref.po
 >
 > hr/32/i-opac-t-prog-v-3002000.po
 > hr/32/i-staff-t-prog-v-3002000.po
 > hr/32/pref.po
 >
 > and for other languages ...

 > After that, should work feature of choice of alternative source
 > languages. Unfortunately there is some work on renaming - first part
 > on a server with Pootle (LANG_name.po->name.po), second part when
 > copying translations to Git (name.po->LANG_name.po).
 >
 > Look also on file naming and using alternative source language feature
 > - http://pootle.locamotion.org/

This can't be done for 3.2 version of Koha. We could work on that for
the next version. If we rename now Koha .po files, we will break the
current Koha translation process.

It's more complex that you can imagine. I already add to deal with that
when setting up the new Pootle server. Pootle expects .po files
following a naming convention which is different than the one used in
Koha. Having Koha .po files loaded into Pootle is tricky for this reason
and we loose some interesting Pootle functionality. But we can't just
modify Koha .po file names because Koha has its own way of selecting
languages by lang codes. We will have to create an equivalence table
between Koha lang codes and Pootle codes. I'll work on this when the new
templating system will be integrated into Koha 3.4.

Would you mind filling an enhancement bug for that?

   http://bugs.koha-community.org

Regards,
--
Frédéric DEMIANS