[Koha-translate] Koha-translate Digest, Vol 54, Issue 7

massoud alshareef massoud at kwareict.com
Fri Apr 15 16:42:21 CEST 2011

Thank you Ray for sharing your thoughts about the Confluence issue. Sorry,
but I felt like my suggestion was offending to the OSS notion, as it seems
to preach for a non OSS product in the wrong territory. My apology if I did.
I will be extra careful next time before suggesting anything.

My suggestion was based on the fact that the latest releases of DSpace and
Fedora Commons, both of which are OSS like Koha, are using Confluence for
managing and publishing their documentation. I understand now the marketing
notion that Altassian is trying to reach new clients through non-profit
organizations. However, were DSpace and Fedora communities mislead as well
or they are using a different business model than Koha ?

Handling R2L orientation with Koha UI required quite some work at all
screens, and extending such work to the documentation interface became
essential for the Arabic users. This is why I thought it will be awesome if
we collectively localize a documentation product, like Confluence if it fits
the profile, at the source code level to handle such R2L requirements.

Anyway, we will move our Arabization work for Koha (POs and PDFs for
documentation) very soon to a Koha wiki location. We may need help from you
to complete the movement.

Thanks
Massoud M. AlShareef,