[Koha-translate] [Koha] Right To Left in Arabic KOHA

Mason James mtj at kohaaloha.com
Tue May 1 01:13:32 CEST 2012

On 2012-04-29, at 6:57 AM, Karam Qubsi wrote:

> Hi all .
> I'm looking to develop the result of koha translation process in Arabic
>
> as you know the Arabic language is deffer from English
>
> in Arabic we read and write from right to left
>
> this is  possible to be modified by hand but if we want to create an
> Arabic version of koha we need to make the text by default goes from
> right to left .
>
> so what we have to do to make this koha Arabic Version ?
> and make it as a choice in the installations steps when selecting Arabic.

some good news... :)

it looks like the Koha will do RTL (right-to-left) languages for translation correctly
... because Koha uses 'Pootle' software to translate

see here....

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/developers/styling
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/features

 "The Pootle online translation editor
  - Implements right-to-Left display where needed for both translation content and the user interface"

and here...

http://franhp.net/svn/catux-server/configs/pootle.prefs

# Pootle.description
  #
  # Consider adding <div dir="ltr"> ... </div> around any text in a left-to-
  # right language to guarantee good rendering for users of right-to-left
  # languages and vice versa if you put a message in a right-to-left language.
  # For multilingual servers, you might also want to indicate the language of
  # your description to ensure proper rendering and for better accessibility.