[Koha-translate] Translation annoyances

Katrin Fischer Katrin.Fischer.83 at web.de
Wed Dec 4 12:43:24 CET 2013

Hi,

I'd rather keep some additional %s and not lose the context and the
chance to do grammatically more correct translations. I'd like to give
some examples:

Grouping together related sentences/error messages:

%sNote: your comment contained illegal markup code. It has been saved
with the markup removed, as below. You can edit the comment further, or
cancel to retain the comment as is. %s %sError! Your comment was
entirely illegal markup code. It has NOT been added.%s %sError! You
cannot add an empty comment. Please add content or cancel.%s

%sEdit course%sCreate course%s

Suggestion status:
"%s Pending %s Accepted %s Ordered %s Rejected %s Checked %s %s %s %s "

Import status:
"%s Cleaned %s Imported %s Importing %s Reverted %s Reverting %s Staged
%s %s %s "

Allowing translation of 'constructed' sentences:
"%sEdit%sCreate%s Label layout"

"%s Delete %s %s Update %s %s Move %s %s Copy %s %s %s 1st %s %s field
%s%s$%s%s %s with value "

Also if you only take variables into account, a simple [% IF %] checking
for the existance of a variable could be a problem breakting the
translation string:

#. %1$s:  name
#. %2$s:  IF ( invoice )
#. %3$s:  invoice
#. %4$s:  END
#. %5$s:  ordernumber
#: intranet-tmpl/prog/en/modules/acqui/orderreceive.tt:130
#, c-format
msgid "Receive items from : %s %s[%s] %s (order #%s)"

I think the translation scripts are not so much the problem, but badly
constructed strings in the templates are. I think fixing the templates
would be the better way.

Katrin