[Koha-win32] Couldn't create child process

robweir at alum.drexel.edu robweir at alum.drexel.edu
Fri Nov 8 19:24:58 CET 2002

Hello Saiful,

I have not been able to duplicate your error on my test machine. Are you testing the version 1.2.3RC23A of the W32 installer?

The W32 install you are testing is just that - a beta test install. It is not flexible about where Apache, or MySQL, or Perl are installed.

Is your Apache installed at C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2? The W32 install places a modified httpd.conf file at C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\conf that contains numerous config settings so Apache can run Koha cgi scripts and serve both Opac and Intranet. If your Apache is somewhere else, copy the the above mentioned httpd.conf to the correct location and restart Apache. Your error sounds like cgi scripts may not be working because of your Apache configuration. On W98, you need to manually start Apache in a console window.

Is your Perl installed at c:\usr? The W32 install copies a bunch of Koha modules to c:\usr\lib\C4. If Perl is not installed at c:\usr, you will need to copy the entire C4 folder and its contents to your Perl location. If your Perl is at a different location, I also wonder if the additonal Perl modules installed correctly. Did you see several dos windows during the W32 install and did it look like those modules installed? If Perl is somewhere else, how did you correct your binary path? I don't know how to do that and would like to learn.

Is your MySQL installed at C:\mysql? The W32 install copies sample data and blank data to c:\mysql\data. It then runs c:\mysql\bin\winmysqladmin.exe to give you a Systray icon for controlling MySQL through a GUI interface. If Mysql is somewhere else, you'll need to do those steps manually.

I do notice you are using an older version of Mysql than I am. But I don't think your error is related to that.

Give these ideas a try and let the list know how you make out. That way we can learn together.

Rob