[Koha-win32] koha windows install

Saiful Amin saiful at drtc.isibang.ac.in
Fri Oct 18 23:43:45 CEST 2002

> Greetings!
> Not much activity on the win32 list! I'll try a post to see if I am the
> only one subscribed to the list.

I am also here waiting for mails.  I remember I've recd. only one mail so
far of an unsuccessful attempt at installing Koha in win32 box.

> I've been investigating Koha for use in a small church library in
> Pennsylvania, USA. I have no Linux experience, so tackled installing it
> on Windows. It took awhile, but I've been successful installing and
> running V1.2.2 and V1.2.3RC14 on windows with data for a 6000 voulme
> library converted from an old DOS program. I hope to test V1.3.1 this
> weekend.

It's a really great job.  Can you tell me what is that DOS program.  Is it
the CDS/ISIS, in which case I would like to extend it to Winisis, if I
can.

> I've seen various mentions on Koha mailing lists and documentation of
> wanting to make Koha available to windows users. Based on my experience
> with Koha, I don't think the average windows user is going to have the
> patience to work through all the details of manually configuring Koha on
> a windows box, especially given the current available documentaion.
> Improved documentation for windows would help, but I think a better
> approach would be to provide an installer similar to what you are using
> on your linux boxes. The user would first do a standard install of
> Apache, MySQL, and Perl using default settings for almost everything.
> The user would then run a W32 Koha install package that would install
> all Koha files and handle all
> configuration over and above the default Apache, MySQL and Perl
> installs.
>
> It so happens that I work as an IT manager for a small medical software
> company (all windows based) and one of my job responsibilties it to
> write install packages for our software. Based on what I've learned
> about Koha on windows, I've cobbled together a beta W32 install that
> does what I've described above. It installs all the Koha files to
> correct locations, installs the Perl and C4 modules, handles necessary
> changes to koha.conf and httpd.conf so you can access both Opac and
> Intranet, installs sample data, etc. I have tested it on Windows 2000,
> Windows NT, and Windows 98 and it seems to work on all three. (It is not
> as clean on Windows 98 because Apache and MySQL can not run as
> services.) The install does not yet do anything about upgrading the
> data, but that could probably be added. And of course it is a first
> attempt and needs testing and no doubt improvement.

Is your installer written in Perl?  I was thinking of changing the
existing installer.pl file to suit the windows os, though that wouldn't
have been true *windows user-friendly* type.

> I'm posting this to see if there is any interested parties out there who
> would be willing to work with me in testing and improving  a W32 Koha
> install to the point where it could be offered as an alternative. The
> beta install I've written is less than 4 MB in size, and I can probably
> compile it with any of the existing Koha releases and have it available
> for testing in a couple days time. I don't have a lot of free time, but
> if others could test and work with me, we might make it work.

I would definitely like to work with you in testing (of course) and
improving (with my limited knowledge and skills).  Please upload the
installer in some server or mail me at "saiful at drtc.isibang.ac.in".

> Is there any interest?
>
> Rob

-Saiful