[Koha-win32] perl installer.pl

robweir at alum.drexel.edu robweir at alum.drexel.edu
Thu Jan 1 02:19:43 CET 2004

Hi David:

Koha should be ready to test. By default, it will be running with a set of
sample data which consists of about 400 records that I imported using a
sample MARC file that I downloaded from the Library of Congress website.

Opening your browser and typing OPAC in the address bar should take you to
the OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog) interface that your library users
will use to access your libary catalog. For a couple search words that
should give you some results, try "black" or "king" or just try some random
words. The sample data is not perfect, there are some empty fields, etc. The
idea is to let you try Koha before going to the trouble of inputing your own
data.

Typing intranet in the address bar should take you to the Librarian
interface with a lot more options. (User is koha, password is koha) This is
the interface that is used for maintaining and adding to the database,
configuring Koha parameters, circulation, etc.

What remains to be done depends on what you want to do with Koha. Is this
for a library or a home collection? Will you start fresh and enter books one
by one manually, or do you plan on importing MARC data for an existing
collection? After you play with the sample data and get an idea if the
program will work for you, you will probably want to change koha to use the
blank database and start configuring it for your own data. The
KohaWinConfiguration page on the wiki has instructions for switching to the
blank database.

Rob