[Koha-win32] Regarding the Koha install (Suggestions to make it better)

Joseph Coelho SJ joecoelhosj at jesuits.net
Sat Jul 9 02:46:32 CEST 2005

I have installed Koha 2.2.2b and Koha 2.2.3 on Windows and will begin
the work of entering records soon (for the time being we are entering
only the basic bibliographic information).

There are some things that could be done to the Koha installer to make
the installation process run smoothly.

When installing Koha it finds that one of the Perl modules is missing. I
had downloaded it and installed it before installing Koha. Maybe the
version of Perl I had installed was older than expected. However since
the Koha installer installs the required Perl modules, this one too
could be included in it. The Perl module I am refering to is 'Convert-ASN1'.

The MARC21 tags are included in a SQL command file called
'structure_def.sql' in the folder
'C:\Usr\koha223\scripts\misc\marc_datas\marc21_en'. After installing
Koha one has to use a SQL front-end tool to run these instructions and
add the MARC21 tags to the Koha (blank223) database. This work could
have been done beforehand and the database already populated with these
records. The user could then modify the MARC21 tags as per his or her need.

The subroutine TooMany in the circ2.pm file has a logical error
(reported by Norberto Ottogalli, nmo at eco.unc.edu.ar). He had mailed the
corrected version of the subroutine on the list on 30 June 2005. This
could be incorporated in the Koha install.

I hope these suggestions will be considered to make the Koha installer
more user friendly and Koha itself more easier to use.

Good wishes
Joseph Coelho, SJ
Pune, India.
joecoelhosj at jesuits.net