[Koha-win32] Koha installation on Windows error

Rob Weir robweir at alum.drexel.edu
Thu Oct 13 04:27:26 CEST 2005

Hi Carol:
What version of MySQL did you install? It sounds like you used version
4.1 or 5. According to the documentation on the MySQl website:

"MySQL 4.1 and up uses an authentication protocol based on a password
hashing algorithm that is incompatible with that used by older clients.
If you upgrade the server to 4.1, attempts to connect to it with an
older client may fail with the following message:

shell> *|mysql|*
Client does not support authentication protocol requested
by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"

I think all the Koha installs up to now were done with MySQL 4.0 or
earlier, so this is the first time I have seen this error. The
WinMySqlAdmin error is probably caused by the newer version of MySQL as
well.

You might just want to uninstall the newer version of MySQL and then
reinstall a V4.0.x version. (V4.0.26 is currently available at
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.0.html  Scroll about half way
down the page to find it.) That should fix both of your errors.

If you want to try to get it working with the newer version of MySQL,
see http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html for
instructions on how to change the way MySQL deals with passwords.

I am hoping to recompile a windows install for the new 2.2.4 version of
Koha this weekend. When I do, I'll try to test it with the newer
versions of MySQL.

Rob