[Koha-win32] issue between koha 2.5 and mysql 5.0

Partha Mukhopadhyay psm_vu at india.com
Fri Sep 1 10:39:17 CEST 2006

Hello Dana,

I would like to have your advice on another MySQL related problem. MySQL
5x suppors Unicode. Can I keep the default charset as UTF-8. This is
required in view of the following problem with MySQL 3x:

I'm doing Bengali Version of Koha (Bengali is an Indic script spoken by
around 270 m people in West Bengal - a major state in India and
Bangladesh). I have developed a complete theme that provides Bengali
language based interface, data entry, retrival and ISO-2709 based
export/import. But at the core of the database (i.e. MySQL) the records
are getting saved as HTML special characters e.g Bengali letter Kaa is
saved as ক - The Unicode value of Bengali Kaa is 2453. Although as
everythin in Koha is over the web interface, the characters and scripts
are displayed properly and even export/import operation can also be
performed in the Bengali script. Here lies my aim to use MySQL 5x to see
whether records are getting stored in native scripts or as HTML special
characters.

Awaiting for ur valuable advice

Partha