[Koha-win32] Unimarc vs Marc21

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Wed Apr 23 14:00:56 CEST 2008

Hi Davita,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 5:57 AM, Davita Janto <davita.janto at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Hi
>

> We are starting our Koha 3 install tomorrow on Ubuntu. We are still not
> clear on whether to choose UNIMARC  or MARC21. We have been searching the
> help files and list files and looking at MARC records. If we understand
> correctly we can only import using Z39.50 from the same "flavor" of MARC. Is
> this true?
Yes, at the moment it is true.

> We also understand that there are more MARC21 sites to import data from than
> UNIMARC sites. Is this true? Is there a reason to choose UNIMARC?
There are probably more English MARC21 sits and more French UNIMARC sites.

> Our catalog includes Lao and Thai, does that point us towards UNIMARC for
> any reason? We are absolute beginners with no experience in either so will
> be starting from scratch with either however in doing a crash course on MARC
> through the internet it is clear that there is more info to help with
> MARC21.
Sorry, I'm not sure. What does your national library use? What Lao and or Thai
Z39.50 targets are available and do they use MARC21 or UNIMARC?

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support