[Koha-zebra] Perl-ZOOM is a GO!

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu Dec 15 15:57:03 CET 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that the first public release of the
ZOOM-Perl software, distributed as the Net::Z3950::ZOOM module,
was released and uploaded to CPAN yesterday. Thanks to Index
Data, and especially Mike Taylor for their hard work on this
module over the past few weeks.

With this software release, we're ready for the next phase of
Zebra integration, which will include using the Perl-ZOOM API
to perform OPAC and Cataloging functions on a Zebra database.
If you'd like to get involved in this process, you'll want to
read through the ZOOM-Perl documentation here:

http://search.cpan.org/~mirk/Net-Z3950-ZOOM-1.00/lib/ZOOM.pod

Most of what we'll be doing is search and retrieve clients
using the ZOOM class, which looks something like this:

        use ZOOM;
        eval {
            $conn = new ZOOM::Connection($host, $port)
            $conn->option(preferredRecordSyntax => "usmarc");
            $rs = $conn->search_pqf('@attr 1=4 dinosaur');
            $n = $rs->size();
            print $rs->record(0)->render();
        };
        if ($@) {
            print "Error ", $@->code(), ": ", $@->message(), "\n";
        }

and updating records, using the ZOOM::Package class, which looks
something like this:

        $p = $conn->package();
        $p->option(action => "specialUpdate");
        $p->option(recordIdOpaque => 145);
        $p->option(record => content_of("/tmp/record.xml"));
        $p->send("update");
        $p->destroy();

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE