[Koha-zebra] Re: [Koha-devel] Perl-ZOOM is a GO!

Mike Taylor mike at miketaylor.org.uk
Tue Dec 20 18:03:06 CET 2005

> Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:31:25 -0500
> From: Nathan Gray <kolibrie at southernvirginia.edu>
>
>> With this software release, we're ready for the next phase of
>> Zebra integration, which will include using the Perl-ZOOM API
>> to perform OPAC and Cataloging functions on a Zebra database.
>> If you'd like to get involved in this process, you'll want to
>> read through the ZOOM-Perl documentation here:
>>
>> http://search.cpan.org/~mirk/Net-Z3950-ZOOM-1.00/lib/ZOOM.pod
>
> Does that mean that we won't have to run a separate z3950 daemon any
> more?  That would be really nice.

Sorry, no, it doesn't mean that.  You still need to run Zebra, which
is the Z39.50 server.  ZOOM-Perl is a client-side library that makes
it easier to _access_ that server.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "... raised on a diet of broken biscuits" -- Jarvis Cocker,
	 _Misshapes_