[Koha-zebra] Zebra and non-filing characters

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Dec 29 10:34:13 CET 2005

Sebastian Hammer a écrit :
> Joshua Ferraro wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> This is just generic question regarding Zebra's handling of
>> MARC non-filing characters. I know there is a 'stopwords'-like
>> function available using the 'map' directive:
>>
>> map (^The\s) @
>>
>> but I'm wondering whether Zebra is also capable of examining the
>> non-filing character specs within each MARC field to decide
>> whether to index or not to index ...
> You mean using an indicator in the field to determine how many
> characters to skip? To the best of my knowledge, this is not supported
> at present, sorry.

Would really be a nice feature, at least for MARC-lover catalogers (that
still exists !)

> What I don't like about that approach anyway is that it leaves it
> ambiguous what happens when the user put a leading article into a search
> term... I think yu'd be better off just configuring the system to ignore
> the most common leading articles as described above.

pro : will work even if the cataloger forget to set the indicator &
makes them more and more useless.
con : MARC-lover catalogers will hate such a behaviour, because there
are few exceptions. I think i can assume the noise french catalogers
will make ;-)

> It is true that this would require separate configuration for different
> languages, but you probably wouldn't get around that anyway, since many
> non-English-speaking countries use other record formats than MARC21, and
> the use of indicators to control indexing is not universal.. the Danish
> MARC (cleverly named DANMARC) format, for instance, use a special
> character inside of the subfields to mark the part which should not be
> indexed.
In what is already developped in Koha 3.0, we will clearly have
UNIMARC-french, MARC21-english, and probably other MARC-language
flavours. So I agree with you.

Happy new year to everyone, with lot of free software & happiness !

--
Paul POULAIN