[Koha-zebra] MARC record/field lengths/number question

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.com
Thu Sep 22 18:13:44 CEST 2005

At 08:59 AM 9/22/2005 -0700, Joshua Ferraro wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Just a quick question for the Zebra experts:
>
>Are there any limitations on the number or length of records and fields(e.g.,
>notes fields in order or MARC records)? Are limitations generally percieved
>as a 'good thing' ... there are limits built in to the standard right?

The standard sets a limit on the maximum size of the record... record
lengths is 5 decimal digits. I don't *believe* that the standard sets an
ordering of the elements -- you certainly often see MARC records with weird
orders. Zebra doesn't care. No 'practical' limitations on the length or
number of fields in Zebra.

I don't think limitations are a good thing, inherently. For instance, I've
seen some journal article providers stuff entire full-text content into
MARC notefields. Ugly, but it brings home the bacon.

As far as an editing interface goes, my personal opinion is that it would
be helpful to sort elements by number because the ordering does seem to
carry at least a bit of weight, core things first, less core things later,
etc., but this is not somthing you should take on my authority -- ask a
cataloging librarian.

Hope this helps,

--Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data, www.indexdata.com
Direct phone: (603) 209-6853 Fax: (603) 357-1813