[Koha-zebra] .abs file and subfield ordering

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.com
Wed Feb 15 15:09:43 CET 2006

Joshua Ferraro wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:47:09PM -0500, Sebastian Hammer wrote:
>

>>Of course MARC must die... but I don't think this is a major issue. I've
>>had extensive conversations with staff at the LoC about Zebra's
>>weaknesses as pertains to MARC, so I'm acutely aware of the weaknesses,
>>but I'm not sure this is one of them. Most of their concerns have
>>concerned the ability to combine multiple subfields into one phrase
>>index for scanning or complete subfield searching... I've never heard of
>>a wish to control indexing based on what subfield follows what other
>>subfield... others on the list may have other experiences (indeed, other
>>formats than MARC21 may pose other challenges here).
>>

>OK ... I won't worry about the ordering prob then ... with regards
>to the multiple subfields in one phrase search, I have actually
>been saving that one :-). A while ago I found a thread on the lists:
>http://lists.indexdata.dk/pipermail/zebralist/2005-August/000875.html
>
>That seems to indicate there is a solution for that -- or am I
>reading it wrong?

Some Russians have developed functionality that allows you to combine
subfields into an index and do other fancy stuff. I haven't looked much
at it myself.

The up-and-coming XSLT-based indexing system will allow *any* kind of
crazy logic on the records to support indexing, including mapping the
whole damn thing to sound like a pirate, aargh.. It should be easy
enough to write some perl to map an old-style .abs to an XSLT-based
filter if/when the need arises.

--Seb

--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data