[Koha-zebra] Behind the Scenes Updating

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.com
Wed Jan 4 20:13:48 CET 2006

Mike Taylor wrote:

>>Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:44:38 -0500
>>From: Sebastian Hammer <quinn at indexdata.com>
>>

>>>Right, I see that now, as Paul's set it up in CVS, we're using
>>>general record IDs stored in the 090$c field in the MARC records.
>>>
>>>So for _new_ cataloging, we're going to have to generate the 090$c
>>>field for every MARC record we plan to import, then we'll 'update'
>>>the Zebra index, and if we're using shadow registers, this process
>>>will be fault-tolerant.
>>>

>>Yep.
>>

>Pedantry note: the operation that needs to be done to resync with the
>shadow registers is called "commit", not "update".  "Update" is what
>you do to add or change records, and "commit" is what you do to make
>those changes permanent.

Uh, pedantry-pedantry note. You are suggesting that 'update' works on
records, whereas commit does something else. In fact, 'update' modifies
both the record and the index files. When shadow indexing is enabled,
those changes are written to separate files and changes to the live
records and the indexes happen simultaneously when the commit operation
is carried out.

--Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data