[Koha-zebra] MARCXML to ISO2079

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.com
Thu Jan 19 02:48:59 CET 2006

Tümer Garip wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Three questions:
>
>1- Feeding zebra with ISO2079 records I can get back both ISO2079 and
>MARCXML from zebra very well.

Yes, but best if you use the grs.marcxml input record type,which
represents the record *internally* in a MARCXML-based structure. This
will work with the marc21.abs indexing rules in the Zebra distro, but
not the older, clunky usmarc.abs rules.

>However since ZOOM supports only XML update I had to change the
>recordType to grs.xml and use MARC21.abs
>

>The problem now is that I can get the full MARCXML but only the leader
>part of IS02079 and lots of space.
>Ofcourse I can change the MARCXML to ISO2079 through other modules but I
>wonder whether I am doing something wrong here.

This sounds like something is going wrong. When you've loaded MARCXML,
it should be trivial to get back MARC.

Have you tried using the YAZ client to get records out? What do they
look like?

Z> find something
Z> format usmarc
Z> show 1

>2- My marc21.abs contains melm 245$a title:w,title:s
>
>when I use $rs->sort(“yaz” 1=4 i>) I get succes in sort but
>$rs->record(0) still gives me the unsorted list?

Mike? Is there some trickery to how you use sort from ZOOM?

Zebra has a shortcut that allows you to attach sort criteria directly to
the query. From the CHANGELOG:

>Added support for sort specifications in RPN queries. Type 7 specifies
>'sort' where value 1=ascending, value 2=descending. The use attribute
>specifies the field criteria as usual.  The term specifies priority
>where 0=first, 1=second, ...

When I use Zebra as the dedicated search engine in an application I
usually use this technique to save the extra PDU exchange.. you simply
add sort directive on the query by ORing terms on as above.. for instance:

f @or water @attr 1=4 @attr 7=1 0

Produces a result set holding the records matching 'water', sorted in
increasing order by title.

>3- When indexing I want to be able to index apostrophe character to NULL
>rather than SPACE. Character table .chr explains how to set it to SPACE
>but
>not to NULL.  This does not help with my indexing when a user misses to
>use the apostrophe in the search. Any suggestions?

This is a feature I have been missing myself for years.. at the moment,
to my knowledge, there is no way to do this...

--Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data
quinn at indexdata.com   www.indexdata.com