[Koha-zebra] Re: Import Speed

Mike Taylor mike at miketaylor.org.uk
Thu Mar 2 17:40:16 CET 2006

> Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 07:44:22 -0800
> From: Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com>
>
> %Time ExclSec CumulS #Calls sec/call Csec/c  Name
>  97.9   32848 32848.  10170   3.2299 3.2299  Net::Z3950::ZOOM::connection_searc
>                  515                         h_pqf

!!!

There's your culprit, then.  You're spending 39751 of your 40604
seconds doing needless searches, and 853 seconds (14 minutes) doing
the actual updates.  Rip out the searches and you should get a 47-fold
speed increase.

Why are you doing the search?  So far I can see, it's just a probe to
see whether the connection is still alive.  But you don't need to do
that: just go ahead and submit the update request, you'll find out
soon enough if the connection's dead and you can re-forge it then if
necessary.

(Mind you, 14 minutes still seems very slow for 5000 poxy records.  I
think there are bulk-update cache issues going on here as well.)

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "One generation's 'amusing dreck' is the next generation's high
	 literature.  ('I think the anvil landing on the coyote's head
	 symbolizes ...')" -- Bill Cameron.