[Koha-zebra] marcxml UTF-8 Encoding Issue

Furkan Taşel furkantasel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:24:19 CET 2016

Dear Koha Community,

I am quite new to KOHA; I went through a fresh installation of Koha on
Ubuntu a few weeks ago.

The project that I am working on requires Turkish characters to be kept in
the DB. After through investigation, I was able to perform cataloging and
search with Turkish characters. However, when I try to catalog authorities
with Turkish characters in it Koha converts the characters to some strange
encoding. (Eg. when I try to insert "Çelebi, Evliya" as an
Authority(Personal Name) it is inserted to the database as "ßelebi,
Evliya".)

If I manually change the marcxml field in auth_header table and replace it
with Turkish characters, Koha shows it with different encoding in Authority
search. When the same record's edit screen is shown, authority name with
proper encoding is shown.

Looked through plenty of links and previous messages and weren't able to
find any similar issue. I would really appreciate any help on this encoding
issue,
Furkan

Koha version: 16.05.05.000
OS version ('uname -a'): Linux koha 4.4.0-36-generic #55~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP
Fri Aug 12 11:49:30 UTC 2016 x86_64
Perl interpreter: /usr/bin/perl
Perl version: 5.018002
Perl @INC: /usr/share/koha/lib
/etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.18.2
/usr/local/share/perl/5.18.2
/usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/perl/5.18
/usr/share/perl/5.18
/usr/local/lib/site_perl
.
MySQL version: mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.53, for debian-linux-gnu
(x86_64) using readline 6.3
Apache version: Server version: Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu)
Zebra version: Zebra 2.0.44 (C) 1994-2010, Index Data ApS Zebra is free
software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are welcome to
change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions. SHA1 ID:
419ad759807269fdfa379799a051ed3a551c6541 Using ICU