[Koha-devel] Possible IRC tutorial nginx and FastCGI

Thomas Krichel krichel at openlib.org
Mon May 3 21:07:34 CEST 2010

  Brendan Gallagher writes

> Friday evening here (west coast USA), Saturday evening in New
> Zealand.  Chris Cormack was showing quite a few of the developers
> that hang out in the IRC #koha channel - his testing database of
> koha - fed through nginx and FastCGI.

  I could not get it to run with Apache's mod_fcgi

http://lists.koha.org/pipermail/koha-devel/2010-April/011153.html

> I was absolutely amazed at the speed that pages from the opac were
> being delivered and watching some of the tests with speed
> comparisons between apache and nginx. I want to learn more. So, I
> would like to propose or maybe ask chris - if he would schedule a
> time that he could demo or even give a tutorial on nginx and FastCGI
> on the IRC channel (which is a good medium because those who can't
> make it will be able to read the logs).  I am hoping that others get
> encouraged and want to investigate the possibilities.

  Does the speed increase come more from FastCGI or more from
  using nginx instead of Apache? I generally don't like Apache,
  but using a different web server means finding a box where you
  run just that server or convert all servers to the alternative
  servers. Both approaches are costly.

  I could give it a try to get it to run if Chris posts his
  nginx vhost file.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                http://authorclaim.org/profile/pkr1