[Koha-devel] Architectural goals for 3.16

Brendan Gallagher info at bywatersolutions.com
Tue Dec 10 23:50:46 CET 2013

Some plans that ByWater (Kyle, Jesse, etc.) has for 3.16 (or at least make
sure our patches are out there).

Elastic Search - which Chris talked about.

New catalogers interface - which Jesse Weaver has been working on and we're
getting closer and closer to having that ready to submit.  (Jesse did a
quick demo at KohaCon in Reno).  I bug pianohacker daily on when that's
going to be submitted :)

Finishing the Plackifying of the staff-side so that it could be stably
used.

I would also like to see a big push of using DBIx::Class and I love the
comments from Galen about using Koha on PG (++).  We are more than willing
to help in that project Galen - please take advantage of us and let us know
what you'd need help on.  We will contribute in any way that we can.

Just some thoughts - and I'm sure we'll add to that in the coming months.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Chris Cormack <chris at bigballofwax.co.nz>wrote:

> Hi All
>
> In addition to the goals Galen has mentioned.
>
> Catalyst and Bywater are working on adding ElasticSearch as an option
> for searching in Koha.
> It will of course not remove Zebra, but will provide the option of
> using it as a search tool instead.
>
> The brief plan is
>
> Write code, so that if ElasticSearch is selected, when a Biblio is
> modified the index is updated. This will not preclude the zebra code
> from running, so the zebra indices are still updated too. (This is
> mostly working now)
>
> Next, allow the Public Interface (OPAC in the old talk) to use
> ElasticSearch to do it's searches (sorta working)
>
> Then, implement a browse feature (in planning)
>
> Then, allow the staff catalogue to use ElasticSearch (not even started).
>
> (Probably only get this far for 3.16)
>
> Then move on to the authorities ..
>
> Then allow for fully ajax option for searching ...
>
> The plan is incremental increases, not breaking existing search, in
> fact not touching the zebra code at all, so that any time you could
> switch back and you would still have working searches.
>
> Maybe eventually it will be feature complete, including a z3950 and
> sru/sw server and we can make switching it on mean switching zebra
> off. But definitely not for 3.16.
>
> You can follow along at
>
> http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gw?p=koha.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/elastic_search
>
> I push everything as I go, (I will tidy it up into neater patches
> before submitting of course)
>
> Also, big huge thanks to the Catmandu developers
> http://librecat.org/index.html  whose library I am making extensive use of
> http://search.cpan.org/~nics/Catmandu-0.8001/
>
> I even got a patch in
> https://github.com/LibreCat/Catmandu-MARC/commits/master
> And its in the latest version on CPAN already.
>
> I am sure we will make much more use of their code, for creating RDF etc
> also
>
> Ok, tangent finished :)
>
> Chris

Brendan A. Gallagher
ByWater Solutions
CEO

Support and Consulting for Open Source Software
Installation, Data Migration, Training, Customization, Hosting
and Complete Support Packages
Headquarters: Santa Barbara, CA - Office: Redding, CT
Phone # (888) 900-8944
http://bywatersolutions.com
info at bywatersolutions.com