[Koha-devel] QA: Patches with database changes (DBix::Class)

Marcel de Rooy M.de.Rooy at rijksmuseum.nl
Thu Nov 28 13:14:20 CET 2013

Hi all,

How do we deal with database changes now DBIx::Class is in place?
We have the db structure now in at least two places: installer/data/mysql/kohastructure.sql and the separate files in Koha/Schema/Result (per table).
Can we get rid of that redundancy in short time? DBIx::Class should now build a new database instead of kohastructure.. (How exactly btw?)
About the result sets, do we really need to keep track of the same things in two places there (pod line and in add_columns again)?

If a patch presents a dbrev the old way (with updatedatabase and kohastructure), should we reject it now?
How does the new-style dbrev actually look like in updatedatabase (upgrade part) ? Which call should we make there to DBIx::Class or Koha::Database ?
Probably calling e.g. add_column in updatedatabase and adding the column in the result class file? Or is there a nicer way to say to DBIx "update my items table" or "sync the whole db structure" (if that does not take too much time) ?

Should a new style patch currently also update the old style files too? Most probably, yes. Even more reason to eliminate that redundancy.
We should also update the wiki and inform developers what we do expect now.

Marcel