[Koha-devel] OpenBook

Nicholas Stephen Rosasco nsr4n at tetra.mail.virginia.edu
Mon Jul 16 18:41:56 CEST 2001

The tool is impressive, but is definitely possessed of a few quirks --
doubtless this derives from the Beta nature of the thing.

How should we handle their ... it isn't a fork ... derivative work?

I've not "gotten my hands" dirty with our, or the Openbook code, enough to
know if it would be possible to phase in additions from their back end.

Alternately, could we replace the koha back end with theirs, in
effect merging the two projects while preserving the Koha look and feel?
That would get Koha full MARC functionality, especially if we wait for
them to debug further.

How seperate is the HTTP side from the database, etc side?

I know I'm just blowing smoke, but I'd like to see us "get something" out
of all the work they have put into their project, while  preserving the
(currently) more stable/production grade Koha code as much
as possible....

I still have some odds and ends I've seen in commercial applications that
I feel would be logical additions to both of the projects.

[Good heavens I wish the had merged more of the code back while they were
in development.... rather than just rewriting everything.  Sigh.]

Nick
...hoping to see the two projects move together, not apart.