[Koha-devel] Catalogue.pm

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Jun 26 23:45:21 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 01:40:25PM -0700, Tonnesen Steve said:

> Chris:
>
> Catalogue.pm is getting pretty close to complete for updating records.
> Once it reaches that point, the next step is to modify the existing code
> to use the new API when inserting and updating data.  You are more
> familiar with the existing code than I am, but do you see any problems
> with implementing this with the following six subroutines alone?

Answered below

> There'll have to be some additional routines because some circulation data
> is also stored in these tables (items->datelastborrowed, datelastseen,
> etc)

Right

> Also, I assume you'll want me to hold of on any changes to existing code
> until after you've made another release?

Yep, I guess i should pull finger and do a 1.1.1 release about now. Any
volunteers to do a release? *grin*

> newBiblio($env, $biblio)
>   $biblio is a hash ref...
>   $biblio->{'title'}, $biblio->{'author'}, etc.
>   $biblio->{'subject'}, and $biblio->{'additionalauthors'} will be array
>     references.  Why is subtitle stored in a separate table, and not just
>     another field in the biblio table?  Historical reasons?

Exactly subtitles was stored in a seperate table as a mistake basically. The
way the data came to us was in a separate table, and in a fit of madness we
stored it as a separate table. Its actually on my todo list to merge it, but
it kept being pushed towards the bottom of the list as more urgent tasks
were added. So if we can fix that problem in the process of our new
catalogue API that would be great. It will undoubtedly speed up searching.

> newBiblioItem($env, $biblioitem)
>   $biblioitem is a hash ref...
>   $biblioitem->{'isbn'} (dewey, itemtype, publishercode, etc...)
>

> newItem($env, $item)
>   again, $item is a hash ref...
>

> updateBiblio($env, $biblio)
>   $biblio is a hash reference
>   $biblio->{'biblionumber'} is used to compare all of the biblio fields
>     between the old and new versions of the biblio.  Any changes are
>     logged and the change is made in both the Koha and the MARC tables.
>

> updateBiblioItem($env, $biblioitem)
>   Same as updateBiblio
>

> updateItem($env, $item)
>   Same as updateBiblio

Nope I can see no problems with this, thats pretty much all we ever need to
do. Except perhaps delete options? At the moment in koha u can delete items,
biblioitems, and biblios. Well not truly delete, they are just shifted to a
deletedbiblio, deleteditems etc table. Basically so koha can then ignore them.
Im not sure whether we need this or not. Perhaps we simply just mark items
deleted, and biblios/biblioitems that have no items are ignored by the koha
searches?

Chris
025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz