[Koha-devel] Catalogue.pm

Tonnesen Steve tonnesen at cmsd.bc.ca
Wed Jun 27 06:30:42 CEST 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Chris Cormack wrote:

> Yep, I guess i should pull finger and do a 1.1.1 release about now. Any
> volunteers to do a release? *grin*

Honest, I started working on a Debian package, but kind of stumbled on the
installation script.  There's a lot of stuff that has to be modified in
the initial installation.  I could probably automate it all or the vast
majority of it for Debian systems, but I just don't know where the config
files are for other distributions.  :(

> Exactly subtitles was stored in a seperate table as a mistake basically. The
> way the data came to us was in a separate table, and in a fit of madness we
> stored it as a separate table. Its actually on my todo list to merge it, but
> it kept being pushed towards the bottom of the list as more urgent tasks
> were added. So if we can fix that problem in the process of our new
> catalogue API that would be great. It will undoubtedly speed up searching.

I really like the idea of separate indexes just for searching.  Moving the
subtitle into the biblio table should be easy enough to do with the
cataloguing API.

> Nope I can see no problems with this, thats pretty much all we ever need to
> do. Except perhaps delete options? At the moment in koha u can delete items,
> biblioitems, and biblios. Well not truly delete, they are just shifted to a
> deletedbiblio, deleteditems etc table. Basically so koha can then ignore them.
> Im not sure whether we need this or not. Perhaps we simply just mark items
> deleted, and biblios/biblioitems that have no items are ignored by the koha
> searches?

I like the idea of leaving the MARC records in place and just marking them
as deleted.  The search indexes can just leave those records out.  I will
have to come up with some clean way of deleting records though.  Maybe
something as simple as passing a $item->{'delete'}=1 to the updateItem()
routine would work.  If the 'delete' key is set in the object, the
biblio/biblioitem/item could be moved to the deleted table, and the Marc
record could be marked as deleted.  That way we still don't need a whole
new method for deleting, just reuse the update methods.

Steve.