[Koha-devel] Re: non-simple publication years?

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Mon Dec 9 21:36:03 CET 2002

> I guess then this would be something for Koha 3.0 :-)
>
> In our library not all dates are in "Chinese" format ("Republic"
> years, now used only in the ROC); we only lists the Republic
> dates if the book lists them.
>
> I wondered whether this is just a peculiarity
> of our library, so I went to another library
> (http://mdx.tpml.edu.tw/v2.3/tables/01a.htm) and see how they
> do it. They do it just the same; not all books are listed in
> Republic dates, just some (presumably also just the books which
> lists dates in this format).
>
> So, sticking with the principle that Koha should not dictate how
> users use the system, we cannot go the conversion route :-)

These dates are just for bibliographic data right?
IE you dont want to use "Chinese" format dates for issuing?
Purely as bibliographical data?

If so, it would be trivial to make the publicationyear field on the
biblioitems table a varchar column. And let cataloguers put any value they
like in there.

Chris
025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz