[Koha-devel] permission flag proposal

Tonnesen Steve tonnesen at cmsd.bc.ca
Fri Jul 26 08:46:03 CEST 2002

I'd like to propose a permission flag be added to the "borrowers" table.

My thoughts are we could have flags like:

superlibrarian   (can do any intranet functions)
circulate        (can circulate books)
catalogue        (can add/modify bibliographic data and holdings info)
parameters	 (can modify Koha parameter settings)
borrowers	 (can add/modify patron information)
permissions	 (can modify these flags)
reserveforothers (can set reserves for any patron)

borrow		 (can borrow items)
reserveforself   (can reserve books for themselves)

The big reason for this is that the new authentication system needs to
determine which users have access to intranet functions and which users
are just patrons and should have no access to intranet.  In most cases,
probably all that is needed is a "librarian" flag, but I thought I'd make
it possible for it to be more fine-grained.

I was thinking of using a 32 bit integer for storing the flags so up to 32
flags can be set.

Thoughts?

Steve.