[Koha-devel] about C4Connect

Nicholas Rosasco nsr at etome.net
Tue Jun 11 06:27:04 CEST 2002

> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Alan Millar wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:52:42PM +0200, paul POULAIN wrote:
> > > I i'm right, every DB function begins by a $dbh=&C4Connect.
> > > Connecting to a DB is a HIGH time-cost function.
> >
> > I agree.  The current method works fine for small, lightly loaded
> > systems.  If we want Koha to scale, and want it to be portable to
> > other DB engines where the DB open may be an even bigger
> > performance hit, we should change the current practice.
>

> One solution (at least on the high end) is to use mod_perl and Apache::DBI
> to intercept the connect and disconnect calls and use an existing pool of
> connections instead.

Careful:  mod_perl+apache leads to two things needing to be done....
(a) we sacrifice the (at least theoretical) ability to be truly
webserver-app-choice independent (Bigger question:  How important is that
independence)
(b) Nick/documentation writers :) need to be told to change the manual to
reflect a change in (a).