[Koha-devel] about C4Connect

Alan Millar am12 at bolis.com
Tue Jun 11 13:19:06 CEST 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 09:16:53AM -0400, Nicholas Rosasco wrote:
> > One solution (at least on the high end) is to use mod_perl and Apache::DBI
> > to intercept the connect and disconnect calls and use an existing pool of
> > connections instead.
>
> Careful:  mod_perl+apache leads to two things needing to be done....
> (a) we sacrifice the (at least theoretical) ability to be truly
> webserver-app-choice independent (Bigger question:  How important is that
> independence)

In my opinion, fairly important.  Even someone who commits to working with only
one method of a solution, and "doesn't care" about being portable, eventually
will find out that they've worked themselves into a corner when an upgraded
and/or altered version of their one solution comes out and they have to retrofit.

Abstraction is a Good Thing.

I've never used mod_perl.  Is there a way we can be "mod_perl friendly"
and still work just fine with the current CGI methods?

Perhaps the abstraction can take place within C4Connect, which could
accomodate for the type of environment present.  I still think the handle
should be passed to individual subroutines, though.

- Alan

----
Alan Millar     --==> am12 at bolis.com <==--