[Koha-devel] Oddball idea

Alan Millar am12 at bolis.com
Thu Jun 13 07:27:06 CEST 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 12:59:18AM -0400, Nicholas Rosasco wrote:
> Someone asked about cross references
> (ie, look for Cinema -under-> Motion Picture)
> I (think) we have a feature to store URLs as items in the catalog, right?
> Couldn't we do a workaround?
> File cross refs in the catalog as URLs pointing _back to the catalog (ie,
> the CGI header)_ for the topic they should look under?

This could work great as a short-term work-around, but I wouldn't
consider it to be a *solution*.  In application design, you want to have
data as self-referential as possible, so that other functions
within the system can make use of the cross-reference data.
At some point, for example, we will want to export data to
a file for a given subject, at which time it is entirely likely
that we'd want this cross-reference feature to work for that also.
Meaning, exporting all entries for Cinema will export the ones
listed uner Motion Picture, etc.  Or when we get to enabling
Koha as a Z39.50 server.

"How do you get from the bedroom to the bathroom?  No problem- go
out the back door, around the house, in the front door- it's the first
door on the left.  You can't miss it."  :-)

- Alan

----
Alan Millar     --==> am12 at bolis.com <==--