[Koha-devel] secure linuxen

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Tue Jun 18 10:28:07 CEST 2002

okay, okay, i give.  ;)

It doesn look like the e-smith package does provide a lot of
functionality, and could be a great choice for a library installing koha
on their own.

Because the various developers (and companies) each like different
flavors (or flavours) of linux (and other unixen), we're not likely to
settle on a specific distribution.

All is not lost though, there are several options:
   Someone with enough interest could build packages themselves.
   Someone could start a company to sell an 'after market kit' for
     e-smith.
   Someone could contact e-smith and talk with them about adding koha into
     their current offering.
   Someone could hire an existing koha support company to build the
     packages and provide support for them.

I think that any of these is a pretty good option.  As the Kaitiaki I'd
certainly encourage someone to take on any one of them, and would be
willing to help, advise, and otherwise support them.

As an individual, I'm not likely to take on the project (on my dime at
least) for a couple of reasons:
   RedHat is the acknowledged (US) market leader ... I can ride that brand
     to higher sales.  (cf. Networking shops selling Cisco gear)  SME may
     prove to be a viable extension to this, but not as a first cut (imco)
   As a second platform I want to see Koha working on OpenBSD.  I think
     this is the best choice for a secure server.  It will also help show
     that Koha isn't 'for linux only'.

Let me know what you'd like to do,
-pate