[Koha-devel] secure linuxen

Alan Millar am12 at bolis.com
Tue Jun 18 12:56:05 CEST 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 01:27:36PM -0400, Pat Eyler wrote:
> Because the various developers (and companies) each like different
> flavors (or flavours) of linux (and other unixen), we're not likely to
> settle on a specific distribution.

>    As a second platform I want to see Koha working on OpenBSD.  I think
>      this is the best choice for a secure server.  It will also help show
>      that Koha isn't 'for linux only'.

Although I myself have no plans to run on anything other than Linux,
it makes sense to make as few Linux-specific dependencies as possible.
Theoretically Koha should run on any Unix platform with Apache and
Perl, and if that's not the case we should reduce dependencies, or
at least encapsulate them as much as possible.  Mysql dependencies
also.

Sooner or later we will find someone who wants to help out on the
project and wants to run on another platform, so we should be ready
to accept the extra help :-)

Creating a distribution release in tar.gz for any platform and an RPM
for instant RedHat-compatible install seems to me like the best
of both worlds.

- Alan

----
Alan Millar     --==> am12 at bolis.com <==--