[Koha-devel] Suggestion on DB portability

Alan Millar am12 at bolis.com
Sat Jun 29 10:43:04 CEST 2002

The topic of PostgresQL came up on the main Koha list.  One of the
suggestions was that the database should not be created via a MySQL dump
because the index and unique-id commands are different.

I agree.  I would suggest that "updatedatabase" should be enhanced, and
all database creation/adjustment should be done through it.

I already put in some data-driven code for table and column additions
into "updatedatabase".  This could be fixed up and abstracted a little
more, so that attributes such as indexing and unique ID's are generic,
and the script can do the appropriate syntax for the relevant DB engine.

Preferably, the add table and column stuff should be combined, not
separate like they are at the moment.

What do you think?

- Alan