[Koha-devel] Suggestion on DB portability

Tonnesen Steve tonnesen at cmsd.bc.ca
Sat Jun 29 20:34:02 CEST 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Alan Millar wrote:

> The topic of PostgresQL came up on the main Koha list.  One of the
> suggestions was that the database should not be created via a MySQL dump
> because the index and unique-id commands are different.
>
> I agree.  I would suggest that "updatedatabase" should be enhanced, and
> all database creation/adjustment should be done through it.
>
> I already put in some data-driven code for table and column additions
> into "updatedatabase".  This could be fixed up and abstracted a little
> more, so that attributes such as indexing and unique ID's are generic,
> and the script can do the appropriate syntax for the relevant DB engine.
>
> Preferably, the add table and column stuff should be combined, not
> separate like they are at the moment.
>
> What do you think?

I think this is a great idea.  On the plus side, there are only four
tables that use auto_increment in Koha, four of which are mine.  In the
four tables where I use it, it just increments a unique identifier that I
use for identifying the rows in the table, and should be replaceable in
every case by the row OID in postgresql.  That makes for database specific
code, though.  Is there some other workaround for the auto_increment
issue?

Steve.