[Koha-devel] proposition for MARC version

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Wed May 8 09:09:10 CEST 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002, paul POULAIN wrote:

> Pat Eyler wrote:
>
> >Thanks Paul for all the time and effort.  I'm trying to digest all of it
> >right now, so I'll hold off on making comments about it until I attain
> >enlightnement ;)
> >
> >One tangental comment though; I've noticed a lot of small comments in a
> >variety of places and from a lot of people that talk about how to
> >implement things in a very web specific way.  This is a dangerous place to
> >go.  It would be a lot better if we develop a very clear division between
> >business logic and presentation logic.  If we do this well, it means that
> >we can write different front-ends much more easily (CLI, GNOME, KDE, FOX,
> >WAP[1], whatever).
> >
> >-pate
> >
> >[1] Wouldn't it be great to reserve, renew, search for materials from a
> >WAP enabled cell phone or similar device?
> >

> If I understand well, you say that because of my paragraph about how to
> manually add a biblio with the web interface ?
> If that's it, I'm OK. But I hope my DB-structure doesn't depend on the
> tool you use to play with koha...

No, I don't have any problems with your DB structure.  (I still don't
wuite understand MARC, but I'm getting there.)  I'm just hoping that we
can divide the kinds of changes we make into two types:
  Those that are presentation oriented (i.e., to the web interface or some
  other user interface).

  Those that are business logic oriented, like your DB changes.

Sometimes there will be some overlap,  you proposed extensions to the
searches that would require changes to be made in the presentation as
well.  This is not a problem, we just need to make sure that the changes
happen in both places.

I think we're in violent agreement ;)

-pate