[Koha-devel] templating

Tonnesen Steve tonnesen at cmsd.bc.ca
Sat May 11 09:53:03 CEST 2002

After a bit of playing with HTML::Template I have the following proposal

Templates stored in includes directory under templates subfolder, each
module (ie search, circ, catalog, etc.) has another subfolder, then
another subfolder for each template, and then subfolders for each version
of that template.

Includes
   Templates
	  Opac Search
             default.tmpl
             polish.tmpl
             french.tmpl
             local.tmpl
          Librarian Search
              default.tmpl
              polish.tmpl
              french.tmpl
              local.tmpl
          Opac Results
              default.tmpl
          Librarian Results
	      default.tmpl

We could then have a preference order for choosing templates, ie:

  local
  french
  default

If a local template is available, it is used first, then the french
template, falling back on the default template if no other is available.

I don't know if this is too complicated, or too simple.  What do we do if
we have three different "default" opac results templates?  What about a
per-user preference for different templates?  Maybe language should be
dealt with completely separately...

Just airing some thoughts...

Steve.