[Koha-devel] question about templating and directory structure

Andrew Arensburger arensb+koha-devel at ooblick.com
Tue Oct 1 09:07:31 CEST 2002

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, paul POULAIN wrote:
> Eyler, Patrick wrote:
> >>but i saw some posts about [language]/[theme_name]/*
> >>
> >I think that we need to include the language identification above the theme identification.   includes/templates/[language]/[theme_name] makes sense to me.
> >
> But Templates.pl from 1.2 makes no use of [language]. It builds template
> list from templates/* dir only. and i've no problems with this. Why is
> language needed in template selection ? Templates name should be

	Are y'all talking about the structure in the CVS repository, in
the distribution tarball, or in the installed files?
	One thing I'm afraid of is combinatorial explosion: if there is a
separate file in the CVS tree for each (theme, language) pair, then it'll
be impossible to maintain: if you want to tweak a template, you shouldn't
have to separately update the English, French, Portuguese, and Tagalog
versions.
	A better approach, if possible, would be to have a single template
file in the CVS repository, and translate it into the different available
languages either when building the distribution, or at install-time (by
the end-user; this might be better, since the end-user could decide which
translations to install), or perhaps even at run-time.

	(Sorry if I'm belaboring the obvious, or repeating what's been
said elsewhere.)

--
Andrew Arensburger                      Actually, these _do_ represent the
arensb at ooblick.com                      opinions of ooblick.com!