[Koha-devel] question about templating and directory structure

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Oct 1 09:32:44 CEST 2002

Andrew Arensburger wrote:

>>But Templates.pl from 1.2 makes no use of [language]. It builds template
>>list from templates/* dir only. and i've no problems with this. Why is
>>language needed in template selection ? Templates name should be
>>

>	Are y'all talking about the structure in the CVS repository, in
>the distribution tarball, or in the installed files?

I'm talking about cvs structure, but I think it should be as close as
possible to the installation file...

>	One thing I'm afraid of is combinatorial explosion: if there is a
>separate file in the CVS tree for each (theme, language) pair, then it'll
>be impossible to maintain: if you want to tweak a template, you shouldn't
>have to separately update the English, French, Portuguese, and Tagalog
>versions.
>	A better approach, if possible, would be to have a single template
>file in the CVS repository, and translate it into the different available
>languages either when building the distribution, or at install-time (by
>the end-user; this might be better, since the end-user could decide which
>translations to install), or perhaps even at run-time.
>	(Sorry if I'm belaboring the obvious, or repeating what's been
>said elsewhere.)

I don't think it's possible for at least 3 reasons :
* languages differences makes automatic building from a "dictionnary" a
dream.
* themes can be completly differents, even in data presented.
* "translation teams" for each language are responsible for their
languages. When templating will be stabilised and more than 1 template
be avaible, it will be necessary to have rules to modify koha and report
modifications to translations teams.

Note : when a template is not avaible for one theme, the "default" one
is used. this functionnality is already in koha.
--
Paul