[Koha-devel] Clouds lifting....

Nicholas S. Rosasco nsr at etome.net
Tue Oct 15 15:25:05 CEST 2002

[Sorry this is so long, but a lot happened today!]

After a roundabout IRC session, and a deus ex (CGI)machina courtesy of
Steve, I'm happy to relate that major progress is forthcoming on the idea of
CVSing the documentation.  After a back and forth round between Finlay,
Steve, and I, the Clouds Are Lifting on how to make rolling the docs with
the code quicker for releases.

The short version is :  The SGML version(s) [ie, the english french etc
copies] of the full manual will be uploaded via a nifty form to Sourceforge,
where the files will live in their own CVS tree (to keep them a little away
from the code).
Steve has throwntogether something already:
http://www.haz.cmsd.bc.ca/cgi-bin/kohadoc/upload

This will let us run the SGML->HTML &/or SGML->PDF tool (probably db2html to
start) and HTMLtidy (the HTML that comes out of db2html is really badly
formatted) sequence as part of buildrelease, since the "most recent" manual
will be in CVS.

*** [Thoughts on directory structure would be welcome.... Finlay suggested
/kohadoc/language code, which makes sense to me, but I'd welcome comment in
case I'm missing something.  CVS arrangement also open to discussion, I
guess, 'cause someone will say something :) regardless.]

In other news:
I will be marking up the ThemeHowTo/ThemeNotes as I have some confirmation
both from the recent detailed-discussion emails/ and from the conversation
on IRC that everything there is pretty stable and unlikely to change
dramatically.    Let me know if I should stop the presses or add anything
beyond filling in what is actually labeled as missing.  I'll also be adding
in pointers to http://www.kohalabs.com/resources/pod/ (which is most
clever).

Also The transition section has real content(notes from Steve and his
experiences moving CMSD)!
If anyone else has experiences (ie, how you moved your library off X and
onto Koha), I'm ready/willing/able to add them in as well.... hint, hint.

Basically all the above I'm hoping to have done/proofed/final for the
release resulting from the 1.3.x beta code.

As an additional item:  Owen Leonard of Athens County sent me this -- a
breakdown of all the Koha tables (from the 1.3.0 release):
http://www.athenscounty.lib.oh.us/koha/tables/  I'm pretty sure we have
something similar, but I said I'd pass it along.

That's it,
Nick
...very productive, suddenly happy!, day.