[Koha-devel] Introduction

J. Kenneth Riviere joker at riviere.ws
Wed Sep 4 20:38:02 CEST 2002

Seeing the request for people to introduce themselves, I thought I'd
de-lurk.  I've only just joined the list and haven't really gotten started
with Koha, but I'm interested in learning.  I've been a programmer and
systems analyst for more than 20 years.

I started my career working at Georgia Tech in the Library.  We developed
our own MARC bibliographic record processing software in COBOL on a CDC
Cyber computer using the NOS operating system which used a 6 bit character
set.  That was quite a challenge to deal with the variable length fields
and maintain the international characters in the bibliographic records.  We
had to read and interpret 8 bit characters as binary values from 9-track
tapes mailed from OCLC to update our bibliographic data which was all
stored on 9-track tapes (there simply wasn't enough disk space to hold the
entire catalog except once a year during Christmas break we'd take over the
entire campus computer in order to produce our micro-fiche catalog).

We worked with Sirsi to develop their first implementation of a library
circulation system.  This was done on a TI-990 running TI's DX-10 operating
system and was again written in COBOL.  It used CP/M micros as intelligent
workstations.  This was eventually rewritten for Ultrix in C, but the C
code was proprietary to Sirsi so I never worked with that directly.  We
were the first installation of Sirsi's package.

We eventually added a BRS search system running on an IBM mainframe under
MVS and CICS.

When budget cuts led to me being laid off I tried to get work in other
libraries, but without an MLS I couldn't even get an interview, despite my
years of Library Automation experience.

I eventually spent most of the next 10 years working with Informix on Unix
platforms writing code in Informix's 4GL language (a procedural wrapper for
SQL), perl, C, C++, and more recently doing some web work using PHP and MySQL.

My current company looks to be getting ready to go belly up.  I've been
thinking of going back for that MLS and trying to get back into the library
systems market.  I just discovered the Koha package and it sounds like an
exciting endeavor.  It occurs to me that if there are any libraries in the
southeast USA that are considering Koha then I might be able to get some
consulting work or even a Systems Librarian job in such a setting.  I don't
know how much help I'll be since I'll be working on my own time and am not
yet familiar with the system, but I'll probably continue to lurk for awhile
and see what I can pick up.  In the meantime I'll boot up my Linux box and
see about getting Koha installed so that I can see what it can do.

-JoKeR (J. Kenneth Riviere)