[Koha-devel] From the Kaitiaki

Ambrose Li a.c.li at ieee.org
Sat Sep 14 16:30:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 03:24:44AM +0530, Saiful Amin wrote:

> I don't know what is m18n.  The term 'multilingual documents'
> might have been ambiguous.  I meant cataloguing and search of
> documents in more than one language.  The library for which I
> worked for 5 years (I'm studying on deputation) had collection
> in three languages -- English, Bengali, and Hindi.  I was
> interested in how to catalague and give an integrated search
> interface to the entire collection.

"m17n" (not "m18n") means "multilingualization" (17 letters
between "m" and "n").  (There is also "i18n", which means
"internationalization", and "l10n", which means "localization".
Translating Koha into Indian languages would be "l10n", not
"m17n".)

The library I work with is also in such a situation; we have
books in Chinese and English, plus a few French books. And a lot
of books are in both Chinese and English (Chinese and English
titles and/or content).

I thought New Zealand also have multilingual collections; how is
Koha handling such collections in New Zealand?

--
Ambrose Li  <a.c.li at ieee.org>
http://trends.ca/~acli/  http://www.cccgt.org/

DRM is theft - We are the stakeholders