[Koha-devel] From the Kaitiaki

Saiful Amin saiful at drtc.isibang.ac.in
Sat Sep 14 15:12:02 CEST 2002

<quote who="Pat Eyler">
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Saiful Amin wrote:
>>
>> I've worked on this software only for testing purposes to see how far
>> it is suitable for the Indian libraries.  So far I've got the
>> koha-1.2.2 working with z3950 client and the sample database.  I plan
>> to test koha for many other features such as handling of multilingual
>> documents.
>
> If you're planning on working with m18n issues, you'll probably want to
> get involved with the other people working on translations.  I'm sure
> that's the place where we'll first see problems rearing their ugly
> heads.

I don't know what is m18n.  The term 'multilingual documents' might have
been ambiguous.  I meant cataloguing and search of documents in more than
one language.   The library for which I worked for 5 years (I'm studying
on deputation) had collection in three languages -- English, Bengali, and
Hindi.  I was interested in how to catalague and give an integrated search
interface to the entire collection.

Translating a software (if that is what you meant above) in Indian
languages would be very difficult because of the script.  We would have to
use Unicode for the Indic scripts like Devnagari.  But if there is any
effort on this direction going on then I would be willing to get involved.

>> I'm currently busy this month with a team project on the Greenstone
>> digital library system.  My next project might well be on Koha!  I am
>> a big supporter of open source projects and would like to contribute
>> at least in the documentation of this software.
>>
>> I would be more than happy to help out anybody in my locality
>> concerning installation, etc.  I really want it to keep growing.
>>

> That's great to hear.  I'm not aware of any ongoing Koha projects in
> India at this point, but there have been several Indians starting to
> show an interest.  If you start to coalesce around translations,
> implementations, or project work, we'd be happy to run a in.koha.org
> website and mailing list.

This is a great idea!  Just before getting this mail I was thinking of
starting my own Yahoogroup mailing list on Koha for Indian libraries.  I'm
delighted that you proposed this so early.  Please go ahead with the idea
though I would start my work from next month only.

> thanks,
> -pate

c/o, DRTC
Indian Statistical Institute