[Koha-devel] Theme and language settings.....

Finlay Thompson finlay at katipo.co.nz
Tue Sep 17 21:48:01 CEST 2002

Hi everyone,

Steve, Chris and I have just had a little discuss about the design of
the theme and language setting process.

This is the resulting proposal:

There are three levels where the theme can be found:

1) on the borrowers table. Each user can set there prefered theme and
language.

2) on a new workstation table. This table will store an IP address for a
machine and various settings will be possible. At the moment only theme
and language. Perhaps also a list of admissible themes and languages?

3) in the systempreferences table.

Each script shouild have the following template selecting line:

my $template = gettemplate("opac-main.tmpl", "opac");

for example where the template is opac-main.tmpl

The gettemplate subroutine is in Output.pm. The individual scripts dont
need to "use HTML::Template;" only Output.pm

The gettemplate sub goes and looks in the above three places in the
order specified.

All of these settings will can be space seperated (maybe they should be
comma seperated?)  lists: like "sp fr en" for language. And it will
search in that order.

There will be no cookies!

This is the first approx. If people have some special requests we can
add an options hash to the gettemplate argument to control special
behaiviour but I wont do that until we need it.

Progress:
The gettemplate routine is written! But I need to do some more stuff to
get the user and IP preferences settup.....

All feedback welcomed.

Finlay
Katipo Communications.