[Koha-devel] How may I be of assistance?

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Mon Sep 23 22:47:03 CEST 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Nathan Gray wrote:

> I am interested in the Koha project, and have been watching it for the
> last month or two.  I have been unable to, or rather, unwilling to spend
> the time to install Koha, because I use PostgreSQL, rather than mySQL.
>
> I have very little circulation/library experience, other than checking
> books out from my local library.
>
> I have, however, spent some amount of time working in Perl.  Most of my
> work has been custom modules to work under mod_perl.  I have also done
> some work on general/public-type code, including Devel::Messenger.
> Because most of my work has been in modules for Perl5, I have written
> quite a few test suites that run using Test::Harness.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!  This is one thing that I'd really
like to see more of in Koha.  If you were interested in writing tests
(even just starting tests for the Koha modules), we'd be a lot better off.
It would also help you learn more about the way Koha works.

> I am most interested in helping with the installer.  I am pleased that
> there is an install script now, and the "by-hand" method is deprecated.
> I hope we can now progress to the point where the "by-hand" method is
> no longer necessary.
>
> Let me know if there are other areas that need (more) help, or how I
> can help with the install process.

Working on the installer/upgrader would be a good thing too.  Steve and
Mike Mylonas have been doing the majority of the work there, and would be
the best to give guidance/advice about it.

-pate