Fw: Re: [Koha-devel] strange search results (fwd)

Ambrose Li a.c.li at ieee.org
Mon Sep 30 14:00:04 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:32:00PM +0300, Ville Huhtala wrote:
[...]

> Yes, I did check all visible fields - but searies titles and
> notes are invisible. I think this is very, very wrong. If I
> remember right then some of those notes are for librarian only
> - and should not be searched. There is also no reason to hide
> notes that are made for opac users.
>
> Hiding the series title is also wrong because it makes
> difficult to uniquely identify searched works.

I also think it is wrong to not display series title, notes etc.
in the OPAC too. For one thing, library users are used to seeing
them in real card catalogues :-) The catalogue we have in "my"
library also displays series title, notes, etc.; I think the
public libraries here (Toronto, Canada) do that too.

On another note, I find that on the demo site, the search fields
have only a clear button, but no "go" or "submit" button. The
instructions tell the user to press the "Enter" key, but this
seems to *unnecessarily depend* on Javascript, so it won't work
in text browsers, so we have

- Search in the Intranet module doesn't work in text browsers
  (lynx, w3m, etc.)

- Search in the Internet module doesn't work if the user disabled
  Javascript (for security reasons, for example)

- Some computers may call the "Enter" key by some other name

BTW, the search on the OPAC module does not have this unnecessary
Javascript dependency.

Regards,

--
Ambrose Li  <a.c.li at ieee.org>