[Koha-devel] Stop words

Albert P. Calame albert.p.calame at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 4 20:13:21 CEST 2003

Hi Owen!
    I don't know for sure how they are supposed to work in Koha, but the
theory is that when you execute a search, certain words that are not useful
(in terms of keyword searching anyway) are stopped out and ignored.  Thus
you don't end up getting the stop words "anded" into the search and taking
processing time. It speeds the search up significantly.
    In other systems I have used, a search for "the" wouldn't have yielded
results - because "the" wouldn't have been in the index.
    I suspect that the behaviour that you report is the intended behaviour.
It is what I would have expected, and what I think is most useful - although
I can't really see why anyone would want to search for "the" except in
curiosity to see how many items turn up.

    Regards,
    Al Calame

Management Consultant,
Librarian-at-Large,