[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha] MARC importing tool?

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 12:25:05 CEST 2003

Moved to -devel.

Christopher Hicks <chicks at chicks.net> wrote:
> And I seriously doubt that a quest to have Koha work with full referential
> integrity checked by the databse wouldn't be a worthwhile endeavor unless
> we're seeing data corruption heisenbugs that need to be tracked down. [...]

I used to think that, but I'm better now.  The cure is a significant
amount of non-academic experience doing development projects on a team
with a *real* DBA.  Having data stores that are just as easy to use and
more difficult to corrupt is a very very very good thing.

That's not saying that a full formal rejig is the best thing for koha just
now, but there are some odd things in today's db design that we can fix,
and some that we possibly can't (eg foreign keys, views -- claim these
are not useful tools and I show you an anti-RI wonk).  Long term, these
probably will be fixed (eg the features are coming to MySQL later), but
that doesn't mean it's a good idea to do radical brain surgery before 2.0.

> That's a pretty normal developer pattern.  Push things along in personal
> cvs until it's worth worrying about merging.

How do you use personal cvs, or do I not want to know?  That was one
thing that made me move to arch.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
  *UPDATED* Kit for sale at http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ads.html