[Koha-devel] rel_2_0 CVS branch

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Dec 23 19:09:01 CET 2003

On 2003-12-17 17:01:33 +0000 Pat Eyler <pate at eylerfamily.org> wrote:

> 6 month wait for our end users to get new features is an awfully long
> time.

I think we've been frozen for some months now, so it'll be longer for
real end users (not source builders) even if they are allowed in 2.0.

> In the 1.2 tree, we made the decision that small, safe features
> could be added into the stable tree without hurting things (much) and
> without making people wait for 2.0.0.  I still tend toward this
> feeling,
> but am open to hearing reasons why it's sub-optimal.

Basically, we cannot expect it to stabilise while introducing new
instabilities into the code. See
http://www.internalmemos.com/memos/memodetails.php?memo_id=1321 for a
grumble about this sort of thing about a larger software project. I'd
let a new feature in if it corrects a fatal flaw, but I don't think
letting simple enhancements in helps encourage the new release to come
out on time. It also adds to the volume of fixes that need porting to
head. I'd be happier with developers keeping 2.0 patches outside the
main tree if they want a testbed/demo and trying to get them into the
2.2 tree.

> I like this idea, and it's about what I was shooting for.  Perhaps we
> should follow the gcc model.

I'm not sure we have the people yet for a full copy of this, with all
the forward porting involved. I'd leave HEAD open until it's time to
feature freeze.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef at jabber.at